Skip to main content

Bedside Manner - Part 4

For the first time in the last 24 hours, I was finally able to feel some amount of relief. Even though it hurt like hell, I joyously left my wheelchair and exchanged it for the glider in the NICU. I had been carrying around my blue blanket and with it under me, I almost felt okay.

Until Rumi began to cry.

And I realised that the new nurse managing him was a man! I mean, I am all for equality, but the first thought in my head - how would he be able to help me breastfeed? I am already so lost, where will we go from here?

Secret #2 - Gender has zero correlation with empathy.

I tried to be vulnerable. Sharing with Arjun, the male nurse, why I was so shaky. What all had happened in the last 24 hours. How my quasi medical background made it worse. How I half understood everything and felt lost anyway.

At first, he seemed unmoved.

Then, as I tried endlessly - perhaps for an hour or so - to get Rumi to feed, Arjun walked up to me. And he offered simple suggestions. Had I had a chance to learn how to express my milk? Had I learnt to pump? Had I considered formula?

And unlike the nurse in maternity, Arjun's questions didn't seem judgemental. Nor his reaction when I almost lashed out. I told him I wanted to exclusively breastfeed, and no I had no interest in pumping or expressing. t wanted it to be as natural as possible.

He simple backed away and gave me space to try again.

Sometimes you need a minute. And he gave me that.

On the toughest night of my life, he was like a quiet, calm, assuring presence. He knew what to do, and he did it.

At the right time, he came back, syringe in hand. He offered that we could pour some formula on the breast. The intent was to encourage Rumi to latch and satisfy him while the actual milk took its time to come.

This seemed reasonable. And it appeared to work.

Then Lohit came back. He had been trying to call me but of course my phone was on silent. Also, feeding and using the phone simultaneously wasn't a skill I had yet mastered.

He could tell that I was busy feeding Rumi and I would not move until Rumi had slept. He offered to go back to the room and wait for me to call so he could come back and pick me up once I was ready.

I spent the next hour or so feeding. And then Rumi slept calmly in my arms. The pleasure of that first time you have been able to soothe your baby. NOTHING compares to it.

And then, I called Lohit. Five, maybe six times. And he wouldn't answer.

Nearly midnight, an exhausted broken body, and a hanging-by-the-thread spirit, I broke down. For many minutes I felt completely helpless. I knew I couldn't walk to maternity. It would take strength that I didn't have. I knew I couldn't stay there. I was thirsty. (Breastfeeding makes you feel like you can drink endlessly and still not be done. More, I couldn't even remember that I needed to keep myself hydrated.) I was drained. And I felt more alone that I had ever felt before.

Teary eyed, I asked Julia (the NICU in-charge for the night) if she could think of any way to help me. Angel that she was, she wheeled me herself to maternity. (She told me this was not usual but given what Lohit had told her about our situation, she felt compelled to help). Some humans make you believe in the good in the world. She is one of them.

When I reached back, Lohit of course had passed out. He woke up, dazed, terror-struck. Wondering what had happened to me. I told him it was okay. I said I needed to change and we would eat Sushi after that.

As I went to the washroom, I realised I couldn't find a change of clothes. I was so dependent on mom for packing and managing everything that I couldn't find anything. I stayed in my blood stained clothes and decided to cry it out a bit.

Day 1 of being a mother had been one disaster too many. Yet, I felt grateful. For being able to go to Rumi when he needed. Even in the worst physical condition, I couldn't think of anything but that beautiful baby in the NICU.

Nature sure has a funny way of making us fall in love.

As we finally fell asleep after eating Sushi, my body couldn't be more thankful for that bed and my blue blanket.

Thirty minutes later, the phone rang. It was from the NICU. And we learnt rather quickly that newborns don't sleep!

Comments

  1. It's amazing how that one person (or a few people) in the middle of utter chaos
    and panic can do something rather ordinary and it feels like the kindest gesture in the universe. In that moment. When each cell in your body just wants to focus on the baby. Outsourcing being kind and polite feels like a privilege. Reading these stories, so vivid and painful yet so beautiful (because of how you tell them) make me think of and thank all the people who did ordinary things were little miracles when my son was born. Forever grateful. I am looking forward to the next chapter of Birthing Rumi - it is healing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you fo reading and writing.. there is a funny story about how I eventually tried to thank Arjun that will come in a future post.. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Could I have imagined you?

Every year, I think about you. Not too many times, but consistently, a few times. And each time I am not sure how I should feel. There is a vague sense of loss, a subtle tinge of abandonment, a painful realisation of independence. But mostly, there is just a numb nothingness.   Who were you? I am not even sure I remember your face. Your smile, yes. Your eyes, too. But in pieces, in context. I can't imagine your reaction in a new situation. I can't see you as you may have become. I can only see the frozen moments that I have embalmed in my head.   I wonder if you feel the need to see me. If you imagine what it may feel like to talk to me now. If you wish you had known me all this time. If I am even a real person to you. If you have convinced yourself that I don't exist.   Perhaps it isn't as simple as moving on, as erasing, as avoiding. Maybe it's an intense removal, a complete denial. I don't hate you. I don't love you. It's an absence of anything ta

Birthing Rumi - Part 1

The next many blog posts will chronicle my most significant journey yet - of becoming and being Rumi's mama. I considered starting a separate blog but then decided against it. While there is a lot to be said, my identity as his mom is not separate from the rest of me. In being his mama, I have become more of me. And in embracing this with the rest of me, and finding and resolving the contradictions, I have felt more myself than ever before. So I chose to put this here. Where the rest of my life and memories live.   “This is pressure, not pain.” A simple mantra I kept repeating as I went through labour. My waters broke at 3.30 am as Loi (the father to be) and I binge watched Bridgerton. I was one week overdue at this point. We had tried nearly every trick in the book to get baby out. The latest was eating a spicy labour inducing burger (yep, there is such a thing), taking a bumpy ride and eating extremely spicy daal. I had been having contractions (false/real who knows?) for weeks. 

Rollercoaster - Part 5

After what felt like an endless night, we woke up relaxed. And then my brain panicked. They hadn't called from the NICU since 5.45 am. Rumi was waking ever 2-3 hours on an average. So at 9.30 am that could have only meant that they didn't get the memo from the night nurses and demand feeding was again under contention.  Thankfully mom had come back to the hospital and I felt better when Lohit offered to go to the NICU to speak to the nurses and also understand if and when they would shift us to Paediatrics so we could be with Rumi in the same room. Lohit wrote to me that he had met the Paediatrician and they were open to shifting us. However they weren't sure if they would be able to find a room. By now I had begun to question my decision to not buy a breast pump and not read up enough on this topic. So when when hospital offered to get me to meet a lactation consultant, we jumped at the opportunity. She helped me understand how to pump and also got me to do it in front of